Sunday, January 9, 2011

"It's how God loves to work - surprisingly and better than your dreams." - Dec.23,2010

We have been paying off debt.
Big whoop.
No big secret.
It's been mind-numbing a practice of obedience.
I talked about it  here and here.
We've been waiting to start the adoption process.
Some (Andrew) patiently.
Others (Esty) begrudgingly.
Nevertheless we've waited.
And paid down that ever-present, nagging debt.
All the while knowing there would be more waiting once we actually
paid Step #1
and got to begin paying Steps #2 through 1 million.
Until...Friday came.
The DAY!
The Last Payment!
The Last Check to mail!

"Let's have a shindig! Let's throw a party!
Let's sign the adoption application and send them some money, Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!"~ said Esty, The Gas Pedal.

"Let's wait."~said Andrew, The Brake.

"Let's wait till the check clears. And let's pray."

I pouted ...eventually conceded...felt nearly better after we'd prayed together.

Put the check in the mailbox. (mild thrill only)
More waiting.
FABULOUS.

3:30PM arrives.
Andrew walks in from the yard,
 into my kitchen,
hands me a Priority Mail already-opened envelope.

It's from Washington State.
I stare at the return address.
Never heard of them before.
"Who's this from?", I shrug.
"Read it", he says, and walks back out of the kitchen grinning.
Always the man of conservative words.
There's a Christmas Card, a picture, a letter.

"Dear Esty~
 Greetings from the Pacific Northwest!", it begins. She goes on to introduce herself as the mother of a gal I used to be in bible study with on the Mountain. She tells me her daughter introduced her to my blog a couple years back. And then she makes me smile: ..."At the very time you mentioned you were reading Radical and Choosing to SEE, I was also reading them! Coincidence or 'Godincidence'? So when you announced you and your husband were going to 'put the pedal to the metal' for China in January 2011, I just knew I wanted to prayerfully partner with you...my heart rejoices with you as you and your family begin this journey. To God be the glory, great things He has done and will do!"

Included in the Priority Mail envelope?
 A handwritten check equal to the first chunk of money due to the China program.

The Last Debt Payment.
Handed to the Mail Carrier.
And exchanged for the Priority Mail envelope with a gift straight from Heaven
via Seattle.


just take a moment and think about that right there...
It was The Same Day.
Orchestrated just right.
No one knew how much the first fees were.
I had never mentioned it.
I didn't need to tell God, however.
He whispered:

"Listen, little girl ~ listen to Me.
I. See.You.
I'm. WITH. You.
Come.
Get out of the boat.
Over here.
Follow Me.
Now.
And GO."

He is God.
He SEES me.
little, tiny me.

So I am not afraid.
I was born for this.
My God made me,
tiny and petty and ridiculous and noisy and bossy and needy and seflish and proud and vain and naive me.
And He takes my hand.
And He helps me onto the bow.
I can feel the waves rock
I can feel the salty spray
but I hear only His voice.

Yes.

7 comments:

  1. PRAISE YOU JESUS!!!! Janna & Scott had a similar story re: their LAST payment.....what beautiful GODwinks!!!!!! Love it!!!!! xoxo!!! So exciting, to read this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING! His face is smiling down on you as you follow your husband's lead. What a testimony, Esty. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, sister! SO excited for your growing family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo! Doing a little dance here for you!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Thanks for sharing God's faithfulness in the (seemingly) tiny things.

    ReplyDelete