Friday, August 6, 2010

Only 10 more? That can't be right.



Life at the Beach so far has been different. Good - but mighty different.
For starters no one says "all y'all" or even a singular "y'all" when referring to a group.
No one has a soft accent or says "bless your heart".
None of my neighbors are very... neighborly.
There's no fog.
~~~however~~~

There's family in town which means someone to spend random weekend days and weeknight evenings with when the Hub is working.
There's a good church very nearby.
There's a great Y nearby complete with impressive water park.
There are new friends. Mostly for me and the littlest boys so far.
The Beach. (Enough said.)
We do love life here.
Love our house, love our location, love alot of things.
So, things are good and we have mostly transitioned and the boys are thriving. They talk less about the Mountain and their buddies than I would have expected. I am not sure why. Sometimes This Writer wonders if when they are teens they will resent that we didn't talk about their old friends more and figure that I denied them that opportunity or something psychoanalytical like that.
Mostly I am just too deeply sad - really that's an insufficient word more like
sorrowful, mournful and heavyhearted -
when I consider the friendships they particularly left on the Mountain.
These friendships are not going to be reproducible, not even close and so far they are not even slightly replaced.
Bad News:
We are struggling more than in any other area in finding relationships for our children to develop.
Good News:
They are closer, less argumentative and more bonded to us and one another than ever.

Moving during the summer has maybe been best because it gave them closure from school activities and programmed unity as a class and has primed them for minimally-structured togetherness as a family.
It is truly a gift and one I do not undervalue.
The summer is setting like an orangey pink sun.
Schooltime ads are on every newspaper insert, every clothing commercial, assaulting us as we walk into the stores, offering Brightly Colored Backpacks! and Lunch Boxes! and Random Folders and Papers and Pencils and Erasers and Other Important Stuff You Gotta Buy!

~~~however~~~
We are doing something different.
It's not an experiment exactly because we feel so keenly that it's what we are meant to do.
We will be homeschooling.
Doodlebug is so easy - such a flexible kid. He makes the choosing to do this as a family almost too easy because he could be content with whatever we decide.
It really is a strength of his, to be so flex.
This will be a First for us.
Neither the Hub or This Writer were ever homeschooled.
Neither of us has any issue with the public school system.
Neither of us feel this is our permanent choice for every child we have, every year.
But is came down to this...

We get 10 more years.

TEN.
Then Doodle is gone.

He won't want to snuggle daily, he won't want to be with his father endlessly, he won't want to sit on my lap, he won't probrably claim that his brothers are his best friends and his favorite activity isn't going to be "being with family".
Soon he will be adolescent.

He is almost 8.

8 more years and he will be driving a car, asking to date and eating me out of house and home, towering above me with (perish the thought:) hairy armpits and a deep voice.


10 more years till we are exploring colleges with him, visiting brick buildings and cinder blocked dorm rooms and white-tiled cafetierias, meeting with advisors who will want to direct him.


We get 10 more years.

We have discussed, researched, pros v. cons listed, explored and above all prayed desperately about the reasons to make this choice.
And there are plenty of other reasons to homeschool, too.
And since he hasn't made friends here yet there are reasons it seems counterintuitive to homeschool, too.
But the bottom line is this:

We get 10 more years.

It's an adventure.

We are diving into the Deep End for sure.
There's only a Life Preserver out here, no boats as far as the eye of this untrained teacher can see.

It's a huge, blue fathom of future and learning and there's no cheerful 2nd grade Mrs. Whatever waiting in a doorway to greet my son for Circle Time. This both thrills and terrifies me.
~~~however~~~
Jesus.

He is the True Life Preserver.
He will preserve This Writer.
He will preserve This Writer's sons.
He will preserve the boys' love for one another.
He is the Prince of Peace, after all.

You are my hiding place;
You shall preserve me from trouble;
You shall surround me with
songs of deliverance.
Psalm 32:7
It's not just a verse, it's my dependant prayer.


8 comments:

  1. Oh, Esty!! What an adventure for you guys!! (I would say "y'all" in honor of you, and since live in Memphis, but that is one word that I REFUSED to say when my family moved me from Southern California to Memphis.)

    I am so excited for you. I believe you all will do wonderfully, homeschooling. I'll be praying for you. I love you, sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited about you homeschooling! We plan on Homeschooling after 2nd grade .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are finding so many amazing gifts on your new adventure!
    Home schooling sounds exciting (and a bit terrifying) and if anyone can succeed I'm sure your beautiful family can. Lots of prayers for you and your guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esty, I am so excited for you. What a huge step! I know it has not been an easy one. I now know more specifically how to pray for you, since we have been on this path for "gasp"3 years...hard to believe! I know the lord will honor your choice just as he has honored ours. It is definetly one the hardest things I have ever done, but by far the best! What a thrill to see the Light bulb come on in their minds and to impact them for the gospel at every turn! I am truly proud of you and Andrew, and so excited the see the fruit from this "adventure"! Love you so much and keep pressing on! Praying for you! Love Meliss

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am such a nerd, I would totally buy some back 2 school supplies and make little cubby holes at home. I might even do one of those cheesy calendars teachers have in class along with alphabet border. Just the idea gets me excited. I reiterate: I. Am. A. Nerd.

    Aside from that, I look forward to hearing about this new adventure and how it works for the family. You have 10 years left to train him up in His ways. I am looking at Prov 22:6 in a different light now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, Esty! What a writer you are. Wows are certainly in order for that as well as your upcoming adventure! Great perspective! Love the personalization of the verse. Something to meditate on for sure. Best wishes for this school year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and those buddies are missing you guys too. Mine are still asking, "When can we go visit...?" It's a beautiful life you're living right now, Esty, live it up. I'm excited for you in the homeschooling and proud of you in all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay-obviously you have NOT hung out w/ me or my boys ENOUGH b/c:
    1. I say "all ya'll" and "ya'll" all the time. 12 years here at The Beach and I still get looks and need to interpret. U can take the girl from the mountains but you can't take the mountains outta the girl. Ya'll hear me now?
    2. My boys will make GREAT friends for yours-if we can just make it happen...my sons have already talked about/referred to yours on numerous occassions. Like parenting=good playmates. ;o)
    3. Want a date night w/ your hubby? We can take your boys 1 sat. evening when he's off-our house is SMALL (townhouse) but full of FUNNESS....Star Wars mania. We have cats though-so if they are allergic-we can come to your house.

    Let me know. And message me anytime. I need to get your cell number too. xoxo. (I saw you from a distance last evening-sorry we didn't get to talk).

    Jessi <><

    ReplyDelete